ties and aix

Jeff Smith jeffs at soul.esd.sgi.com
Fri Jun 21 06:23:04 AEST 1991

I tried not to comment on this yet, but after getting a letter
from my friend yesterday, I felt I had to.

IBM Austin is fairly liberal for an IBM site as far as dress.  I've
spent about 3 months there as an IBM employee wearing a t-shirt,
jeans and sneakers while working on the first release of both
AIX/6000 and AIX/PS2.

However the tie comments are valid for most of IBM, even for
programmers.

A friend of mine works at a upstate NY IBM location, as a programmer,
with no customer contact.  A group of people there have started
dress down friday (no ties, still a button down shirt, slacks,
shoes).

They have been told that is is unwise, because it coul "Limit
their opportunity (for advancement)".

Perhaps the rest of the company will follow Austin's dress codes.

jeffs at sgi.com