Control NFS exported filesystems

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Thu Jun 20 21:22:35 AEST 1991

In article <8623 at awdprime.UUCP> marc at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com writes:
>In article <1991Jun19.172354.9964 at turnkey.tcc.com>,
>jackv at turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

[ stuff about using the 'hard' nfs mount option not preventing data loss]

|Mounting the file system hard will not prevent the problem.  An
|application will
|not "see" the error until a fsync or close is done on the file.  Probably what
|is happening with vi is that it is not checking the return from close.  I can't
|ever remember seeing someone check the return from a close with all the
|code that
|I have looked at.

Right, its not just an issue of user-written applications not doing this,
its that every application "command" in the system, like vi, don't do
this. Marc, you and I both know where this issue is coming from (like a
certain customer complaint :-) and this is BOGUS. The user is free to
write code to check the return from close should he like, but rewriting
vi ?!? NO, the right option as far as I am concerned is what was done
in 4.3reno, provide a synchronous option to mount!!

>As an aside does anyone out there check the return from close in their
>programs?

We could probably generate a month-long thread of arguments in
comp.unix.wizards on the appropriateness of this :-} :-}!

Disclaimer: I hack the kernel, I don't speak for the company.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM