crontab result mail (AIX 3.1)

Christophe Wolfhugel wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
Mon Jun 24 15:15:29 AEST 1991

I've observed a strange behavior of cron with crontabs that have no
output (or are supposed to: >/dev/null 2>/dev/null).

I distinguish 2 cases:

- the mailbox is empty: when the jobs finished, it is done silently
  without any warning in the mailbox,

- the mailbox is not empty: when the same job terminates (again no
  std output), I get the cron end message mailed (Warning: this is
  the output of one of your jobs ...).

Any idea on why this difference (that I would to avoid: I get over
100 such messages / 24h).

Christophe Wolfhugel    | Email: wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA - Dpt Informatique | "Le progres ne vaut que s'il est partage par tous,"
Lyon, France            | "les greves aussi. Hassan Cehef: c'est penible!"