modems under delay not dropping DTR on 3003

Robin Robin
Sat Jun 8 03:58:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun7.034510.4004 at ugc.uucp> geoff at ugc.uucp (Geoff Coleman)
writes:

> 	We have come across an interesting problem that IBM seem's unable
> (or unwilling) to duplicate. At times when our machine is running full out
> (ie. no idle time for 60+ minutes) if a person cu's to another machine
> on exiting the cu the rs/6000 will not always drop dtr. This in turn means
> the phone line may not get dropped. This can become a very expensive
> proposition when you are supporting customers across Canda.

IBM is never "unwilling" to duplicate a problem.  This one just doesn't exist.
Sorry Geoff, but thems the facts.   I have worked EXTENSIVELY with tty's and
modems... the simple fact is, when the port is properly closed, the tty device
driver HANGS UP (this means drops DTR).  Now, it is possible that the process
you have running on the port is not exiting cleanly, but I have NEVER seen this
happen with "cu".  It is also possible that the carrier is not being dropped on
the remote end... (Do you use "~." to exit, or do you log out of the remote
machine?)  If you logout, then I would look at the remote machine's tty/modem
setups, if you use the "~." method to exit, then I would look at both the local
and the remote machine's tty/modem setups.  Make sure that you have "HUPCL" set
in "stty settings for run time/login".

> 	The latest response from IBM (the problem report has been open for
> months) is to run the lines as share rather than delay but whenever I run the
> lines as "share" they immediately get locked and you can't cu out on them.

I am not surprised by this answer, even if it is wrong.  You should be able to
use DELAY without trouble after the 3003 update has been applied (I know I
could).  The problem you describe with "SHARE" here seems to be the same as the
old 3002 problems.  You really need to verify that you have 3003 install.  If
you do, you need to check and make sure that the modem has CD set to "follow
true carrier" (Hayes command mode == AT&C1; Enhanced (telebit) command mode ==
S131=1).  You also need to set "DTR signal handling" to be "Modem disconnects
and enters command mode when DTR is dropped" (Hayes command mode == AT&D2 (or
&D3); Enhanced command mode == S52=4 OR S52=2).

Mail me at "pensoft!robin" and I will send you a "modem setup guide" that will
explain why all this is necessary.

> 	If anyone out there has telebit's (either 2500, 1000 or pluses)
> running on an RS/6000 in share mode I would appreciate a copy of your
> register settings. Or if you have tried to get modems to work in share mode
> on version 3003 or greater and haven't been able to I would like to know
> (the support person I was talking to said that as far as they knew
> everyone was using share rather than delay)

Who said this... (Please mail me directly.)  I will straighten them out.  DELAY
works fine.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |