Ethernet problems with 3.1

Robin D. Wilson robin at batman
Fri Jun 21 03:30:22 AEST 1991

In article <4136 at beguine.UUCP> Shawn.Hayes at bbs.oit.unc.edu (Shawn Hayes)
writes:
> When I logged onto the sick computer everything seemed fine, except for
> network communications.  When I tried to ping another computer I got an
> error message of 'send:  no route to host'  which ususally implies that
> the host that I'm trying to connect to isn't in the hosts file.  However
> after
> looking at all of the configurations in SMIT everything is as it was and
> thes sick RS/6000 was able to communicate earlier.  So I then tried to ping
> the sick computer from the sick computer without any luck.  I got the message
> that there was no route to host.

Actually, "no route to host" implies that the network interface (en0) was not
active.  I suggest that you verify 2 things: 1) en0 is configured; and 2) inetd
is running (if this ever happens again).

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |