Control NFS exported filesystems

Andrew Dawson teexand at ioe.lon.ac.uk
Thu Jun 20 19:01:36 AEST 1991

In <1991Jun19.162331.25505 at bellcore.bellcore.com> jona at iscp.Bellcore.COM (Jon Alperin) writes:

>	Hey...maybe this explains the reason that when I save a file
>under VI which is kept on another NFS partition, VI tells me that it
>was able to save the file, but because the real physical disk was full I
>end up with a 0 length file (and lose all my work).....

This sounds like something we have been discussing with IBM recently. I think
essentially the client is cacheing requests, so although write() returns
sucessfully, the data hasn't been written to disk. Your application may pick up
an error if fsync is called, and the close should also fail (not that many
applications check this). However, I'm not sure even this much worked until
we'd applied an APAR fix.
--
#include <std_disclaimer.h>  /* My brain was swiss-cheesed when I wrote this */
JANET:    andrew at uk.ac.ucl.sm.uxm     UUCP/EARN/BITNET: andrew at uxm.sm.ucl.ac.uk
INTERNET: andrew%uxm.sm.ucl.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
"Leapers do it with assistance from neurological holograms"