AIX vs standard unix

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Jun 5 03:06:59 AEST 1991

In <1991Jun4.163505.29244 at cs.utk.edu> de5 at ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:

>In article <11640 at ncar.ucar.edu>, pack at acd.uucp (Daniel Packman) writes:
>>
>>I'd take the journaled file system over sys V or berekely any day.

>How about the day one of your disks crashes?  Like, maybe the one
>that's got pieces of /, /usr, /u, etc. on it, and instead of restoring
>one drive's worth of stuff, you have to restore everything?

You can tell it which drive to put things on.... Granted that it
takes installing the system and then immediately reloading it,
but c'est la guerre....  Packman is right, though, I've pushed
the Big Yellow Button on all of my '6000's on multiple occasions
each; only once have I _ever_ heard a squeaky out of fsck....
it just doesn't lose stuff.  Besides, I back up by logical partition,
not by physical; it's not going to matter to me, anyway.  I'd
much rather take the extra time on the one-in-a-million head crash
than take double the time out of my day every time one of my
scientists 888's his machine with too many windows.....

-- Glenn R. Stone
glenns at eas.gatech.edu