root restrictions

Brian Zimbelman brian at is.UUCP
Fri Jun 14 13:36:06 AEST 1991

In article (David J. Kleikamp) writes:
> In article (Andrew T. Como) writes:
> >
> >I need a mechanism to restrict root logins to the console.
> >
> >If I change the user characteristics "valid TTYs" to the console
> >you can only "su" to "root" from the console. (this is not practical)
> >
> >		Andrew Como

I have used "valid TTYs" a number of times with no difficulties.  Actually,
I did have one problem, AIX requires a full pathname for this field.

valid TTYs = tty0		FAILS
valid TTYs = /dev/tty0		WORKS

I do not remember if I tried '/dev/console' or not, but '/dev/tty?'
works fine.  This will restrict LOGINS of the user to this device, however
it will not restrict others from switching user to this user while
logged in on other devices.

> Okay, I'll ask.
>
> What good is it to restrict root logins to the console if you do allow other
> users to su to root from other TTY's?
>
> Anyway, one way of doing this would be to write your own authentication
> method.  I've never done this myself, but you define the authentication
> methods in the /etc/security/login.cfg file.
> --
> David J. "Shaggy" Kleikamp	dave at kleikamp.austin.ibm.com
> The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.
> External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!kleikamp.austin.ibm.com!dave

Good Luck,

Brian Zimbelman
President
Innovative Solutions

Disclaimer: Works for me!!!
Innovative Solutions				(505) 883-4252
3547 Colorado NE				is!brian at bbx.basis.com
Albuquerque, NM 87110				bbx.basis.com!is!brian