strange tcpip problem: SOLVED!!

Eliot Lim eliot at engr.washington.edu
Thu Jun 13 09:04:26 AEST 1991

First of all, many thanks to everyone for their suggestions; including IBM.
I still don't know what got screwed up but it doesn't matter.  What I did
was to open up the covers and move the ethernet card to another slot.

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but if you move your ethernet
card, the OS will assign it a new hardware address and leave the old one
and treat it as a device that has gone offline.  So with a "new" device
I was able to configure it from scratch and it came right up!

Eliot

p.s. be sure to insulate yourself properly from static before trying this.