ties and aix

mike.stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sat Jun 22 16:33:10 AEST 1991

In an article, rich at kunikpok.uucp (Richard Hasting) writes:
>Actually, the dumbest people I have ever met have been wearing
>torn blue jeans and baseball caps.  Just because you might have gotten
>some bad technical advice from a tie wearer doesn't imply that advice
>from all tie wearers is as suspect.  The point is, a person should be
>judged by there integrity, not by what they wear:-)

Methinks that it is all a matter of conformity.  Are you wearing your tie
and suit because you *want* to wear your tie and suit, or has it been
dictated that "Thou shalt wear thy Tie and thy Suit"?  Those who actually
enjoy ties and suits are typically of an anal retentive nature, and not
suitable for UNIX or C programming -- RPG III on the AS/400 is more their
speed.

Those who are forced to wear ties and suits as a result of economic oppression
by their employer, well ... it depends.  If they subconsciously enjoy being
oppressed, then they too are anal retentive, and should persue RPG programming
as noted above.  If they resent wearing ties and suits, but don't want to
give up the big bucks they are pulling down, then they should do us all a
favor and get the hell out of the programming profession and become salesman;
that's what they are now, anyhow.  Lastly, if you are dirt poor and suit-bound,
then you have my deepest sympathy... but think how good it will feel when
you finally tell your employer where *exactly* they can insert all of that
suit cloth.

Remember -- real UNIX programmers have long hair, beards, and wear sandals.

Cheers!  And remember ... read this with a :-) in mind.  Of course, if you
were offended, then you are anal retentive in nature, and really should
consider RPG as a career path option.

--
Mike Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles -- Opinions stated are never realistic!
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards out of men." -Lincoln