DPS - how to use it?

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 21 08:19:53 AEST 1991

In article <91171.151735RBNTJC at ROHVM1.BITNET>, Thomas J Cozzolino <RBNTJC at ROHVM1.BITNET> writes:
|> We've got Display Postscript on our system (the standard libaries and
|> example programs distributed w/AIX).  My question is, how can I use it?

I had the same question a while back.  After fiddling with the examples and
searched on-line doc without too much progress,  I spent about three hours
hacked ghostscript version 2.21 by Peter Deutsch.  You can ftp this thing
from prep.ai.mit.edu.  And link it with IBM supplied -lX.  (I linked it
with X11R4 lib and it failed to pass some tests, but IBM libs seems to
do the job right.  I didn't bother to check why)

It's slow, appearance is not nice as DPS, but it gets the job done.  You can
use it for now until more info available for DPS I guess.

BTW, does anyone know of a PS-to-DVI converter?  I would love to use SeeTeX
to do previewing as it's MUCH faster than gs and I can compress TeX/LaTeX dvi
files for app docs and store them on line.  So far I haven't found one yet
and would appreciate it very much for any pointers.

Sincerely,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University