problem with xterm on RS6000NN

Pat Ward phw at meaddata.com
Wed Jun 26 23:42:46 AEST 1991

In article 5348 Mark Allender writes:
>My next question is why the hell is there a problem with this in the first place.
>I cannot for the life of me understand what is so damn difficult about getting

Your point is well-taken, but you must first understand that xterm is a program
that has evolved from kluge piled on kluge. The one X application that is the
LEAST likely to port easily is xterm.

What is it that you want xterm to do - that aixterm doesn't do? Xterm has no
color support unless you hack the livin' bejaysus out of it. Or are you of the
opinion that you can't use a tool unless you've got the source?

Let me guess... You want to use xterm to run the C-Shell - right? Take the time
to learn aixterms' capabilities, and use the Korn Shell (or bash). You'll save
yourself a lot of grief, and you'll probably decide you're better off.

> Why AIX?

Why not. A better question is "Why Sun OS?" (You know... that crippled-Xenix
work-alike). Or why NCR Tower OS? I personally would like to see AIX succeed, just
to keep AT&T Unix developers awake.

The opinions expressed are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of my
employer, parents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, pets or neighbors.
So there.

Pat Ward
phw at meaddata.com
uunet!meaddata!phw