DISPLAY and XSTATION variables become unset for Xstations

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Wed Jun 5 06:40:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun3.135503.6080 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, viscuso at tiberius.tc.cornell.edu (Paul Viscuso) writes:
> We recently installed the 3005 upgrade to our RS/6000's (model 530s).
> Every once in a while, when someone goes to log in at an Xstation,
> the DISPLAY and XSTATION environment variables are lost.  When they type
> xinit (or whatever other script they have to>  start up the window manager),
> DISPLAY is set to unix:1, and so mwm is started up on the console.
> The users don't have the variables hard coded in their .cshrc or
> .login files.  Has this happened to anyone else?
> This seems to happen usually after the Xstation has remained idle overnight.
>
>  Any ideas would be appreciated.

> Paul Viscuso
> Cornell Theory Center

Actually... We see the problem on our X-station 120's anytime the user
failes his login.. I.E. invalid uid and/or password.   The xlogin stuff
that x-station manager is using is destroying the login envionment that
was setup by x-station manager see IBM apar IX19109 for symptoms and fix.

IBM says fix is in 2007 ?!?!?!   and can't even tell me when (if ever)
it will ship... all I get is mabey in 3.2!!!

We are at 3005 from 3003 upgrade.  And are running x-station manager 1.2
with the X11R4 servers on the X-120's.

I have told our users to get their logins correct the first time :-)

You can also CNTL-C out of the login, wait for the new login window and
try again... this will have the envionment set correctly...

On an X-station, DO NOT RUN XINIT, This will start the server (again)
on the system console, IF THE XSTATION envionment variable is not set!.

Here is what smit will place in the .profile if you have the
initial interface set as "windows".  The xinit is bypassed if the
login fails, and does not start a xserver on the console.

----------------- .profile extension here --------------
TERMMTYPE=`tty | grep hft`
if [ -n "$TERMTYPE" -o -n "$XSTATION" ]
then
        if [ -f /usr/lpp/X11/bin/xinit ]
        then
                /usr/lpp/X11/bin/xinit
        fi
fi

Seems to work for us.

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
VOICE: (713) 963-2446		   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw