How can I telnet to a foreign machine and be a vt100 (AIX3.1.5)?

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu
Tue Jun 11 04:53:17 AEST 1991

We have a problem using telnet to "foreign" machines and still having it
emulate a vt100 properly, even when using "telnet -e vt100".  With a Cray-YMP
running UNICOS or a Sun4 running SUNOS4.03, the message is always:

        Can't emulate a none terminal on a vt100 terminal

and then telnet refuses to emulate a vt100 such that you can use vi on
the Cray properly.  (Character inserts cause parts of the current line to go
blank and the curser to loose its place).  Telnet seems to work fine with other
Risc-System 6000's.

Any suggestions?  Is there a terminfo entry that someone has that would
help?

Thanks.

--Tim