how to access dials and LPFKs under AIXwindows with graPHIGS ?

Dwayne Jacques Fontenot fontenot at comet.rice.edu
Tue Jun 18 03:27:18 AEST 1991

Hello,

I need to know how to access the devices (dials and LPFKs [lighted
programmable function keys]) on an RS/6000 under AIXwindows with
graPHIGS.

system info:

	RS/6000 model 530
	graphics input device adapter (dials and LPFKs plugged into this)
	AIX 3001.5005
	graPHIGS 2.2
	AIXwindows

I have searched through the graPHIGS manuals and all I could find was a
rather glossy sentence that said (and I quote):

	The Lighted Program Function Keys (LPFK's) and Dials
	are supported in the RISC System/6000 and are accessed
	by the graPHIGS API through the use of IBM X extensions
	provided in AIXwindows.

That was everything I could find on the subject. I compiled the
extensions in the Xamples directory and linked them into the
X server. The tests ran ok (as far as I can tell) and the dial
test seemed to work. But I still cannot access the devices with
my graPHIGS programs. I guess it is just not that simple. The
puzzling thing is that graPHIGS is usually *very* good about
giving errors when it finds something it does not like, but
even though I am initializing dials and LPFK's in my program,
and then trying to catch their events (which never come) graPHIGS
never complains...never says it cannot find the devices or anything.

I should probably say that these programs run fine (same source) on
an IBM 6095 and IBM 5086's. So it is not just that I don't know how
to access the dials and LPFK's in the first place.

I know not many people are using graPHIGS yet, but I would greatly
appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you for your time,

Dwayne Fontenot (fontenot at comet.rice.edu)
Rice Advanced Visualization Lab