Zip archiver in unix....

Ronald S Woan woan at exeter.austin.ibm.com
Mon Jun 10 11:28:52 AEST 1991

fechuny at aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:
felix> 	Hello. I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this
felix> message.  If it is not please forgive me.  	I have a few
felix> files that are archived as *.zip and would like to un-archive
felix> them.  However, I don't have a program to do this.  Could
felix> anyone tell me where I could ftp one if it is available?

I noticed the following in a different group... Simtel20 is actually
wsmr-simtel20.armiy.mil (192.88.110.20) with clones on
wuarchive.wustl.edu among other places if you have trouble getting
through. Oh yeah, it's a TOPS-20 system so use the tenex option when
FTP'ing.

From: kirsch%maxemail at UUNET.UU.NET (David Kirschbaum)
Subject: Info-ZIP's free UNZIP v4.1 now available from SIMTEL20
I have uploaded version 4.1 of the Info-ZIP project's generic unzip
utility to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<misc.unix>
UNZIP41.ARC     Generic unzip v4.1 for free public distribution
UNZIP41.TAR-Z   Same as above, but compressed tar format

pd1:<misc.vaxvms>
UNZIP41.ARC     Generic unzip v4.1 for free public distribution

pd1:<msdos.zip>
UNZIP41.EXE     Info-ZIP's free UNZIP v4.1 for MS-DOS
UNZIP41.ZIP     C source code for free Unix/VMS/MS-DOS UNZIP

UNZIP41.EXE is a self-extracting archive created via LHA.  It contains
an MSDOS executable of Info-ZIP's generic unzip utility (compiled via
Borland's Turbo C v2.0), plus unzip.man and short text file.

This version of unzip has been ported to a wide array of Unix and
other mainframes, minis, and micros (to include MSDOS, Atari ST (kinda),
and Macintosh).  Although highly compatible with Phil Katz's PKZIP
and PKUNZIP utilities of MSDOS fame, our objective has been one of
portability and other-than-MSDOS functionality.

Please note that UNZIP41.ARC, UNZIP41.TAR-Z, and UNZIP41.ZIP all
contain the same files.  They were uploaded in three different formats
for your convenience.

David Kirschbaum
Info-ZIP Coordinator
kirsch%maxemail at uunet.uu.net
kirsch at usasoc.soc.mil
kirsch at wuarchive.wustl.edu

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan at cactus.org or woan at austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +