getting the mouse to cooperate with pcsim

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Tue Jun 11 14:17:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun7.033522.20839 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
mackenzi at mrlaxa.mrl.uiuc.edu (Andrew MacKenzie) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone has had success with getting the mouse to cooperate
>with pcsim.  If so, could you post how you did it, or better, email me how
>you did it?

You have to put "mouse : com1" (or com2) in your simprof file.  I was then
able to put MOUSE.COM (for Mickeysoft mice) into the stimulated PC's
CONFIG.SYS and it all worked (at least for the one app that I tried it out
on).

a couple of notes:

Don't use tabs in the "simprof" file.  It doesn't like them.  And # signs work
for commenting out lines when you're experimenting.

There's a little weirdness with the relationship between the mouse cursor
and the Xwindows cursor -- when you move the mouse to the PC window, the
cursor disappears unless the PC has an active mouse app running.  To see
the cursor, hold down the shift (or was it the alt?) key and click.  The
real weirdness is that the PC and the X cursor don't track perfectly together.
You can get into situations where you can't manipulate the PC mouse pointer
because you keep "falling off the end" into the X background, even when the
PC mouse is in the middle of the screen.  Turns out that it matters where
the "border crossing" is made -- first raise the X mouse to the same
elevation as the frozen PC mouse pointer, then shift it into the PC window.
--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
eravin at panix.com    | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an