/etc/magic

Art Werschulz agw at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Jun 8 22:41:15 AEST 1991

Hello.

[Pardon if this posting has appeared before ... we've had a few
news-posting problems.]

AIX's /etc/magic file for the file (1) program is missing quite a few
entries.  I have appended a Berkeley /etc/magic file to same, so that
more things will be found.

Unfortunately, the AIX file command doesn't seem to recognize the
"\XXX" strings in /etc/magic.  The file's comments say that one has to
substitute the equivalent long/short.  Does anybody know a relatively
non-painful way of doing this?

Also, there are entries such as
  0	string	%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-	encapsulated postscript file
Unfortunately, when I do
  % file foo.epsf
I get the result
  EPSF-	  encapsulated postscript file
instead of the expected
  encapsulated postscript file
(it's breaking at the blank, not the tab stop).  Any ideas how to fix
this?

--
      Art Werschulz
      InterNet:  agw at cs.columbia.edu
      ATTnet:    Columbia University (212) 854-8642 854-2736
                 Fordham University  (212) 636-6325