Can a large RS/6000 easily replace a Convex?

Heiko Schlichting heiko at methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 5 07:31:47 AEST 1991

mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:
>>johan at dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan Haas) said:

>> We are considering to replace our current Convex C1 with a mix
>> of RS/6000 systems instead of upgrading to a Convex C2.
>
>This is a good idea.

I'm not sure about this. I still miss a good batch queueing system on
RS/6000 - one of the famous things on a Convex. And in case of low
swap space AIX kills the process which had allocated most memory. So
everybody can kill large batch processes from other users which are
running since a long time. Not a very good 'feature' of AIX.

Bye, Heiko.
--
 |~|    Heiko Schlichting                   | Freie Universitaet Berlin
 / \    heiko at fub.uucp                      | Institut fuer Organische Chemie
/FUB\   heiko at methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de    | Takustrasse 3
`---'   phone +49 30 838-2677; fax ...-5163 | D-1000 Berlin 33  Germany