IBM 6000 vs HP 9000 series 700

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Fri Jun 28 23:33:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun25.160925.53455 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> hoberoi at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Hi,
>	here goes:
>	any comparisons of RS6000 530/540 etc with the HP Apollo 9000 series
>	700 machines ?
>
>	HP claims better SPECmarks for all the comparable models

You need to compare some HP model against the 550 as well.  I won't
go into the dangers of comparing today's hot box against last years
hot box, but try to keep in mind that with technology changing as
rapidly as it does, you really have to compare the latest technology
against the latest technology.  You also have to compare bang/$$$
as well.  Merely stacking the lowest performance HP against the
lowest performance IBM machine is neither accurate nor fair (but
commonly does pass for a marketing strategy ...)
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"UNIX signals are not interrupts.  Worse, SIGCHLD/SIGCLD is not even a UNIX
 signal, it's an abomination."  -- Doug Gwyn