cc -o -c

jaime at excalibur.austin.ibm.com jaime at excalibur.austin.ibm.com
Sat Jun 1 05:54:06 AEST 1991

In article <AUVNELE.91May30171500 at auvc7.tamu.edu>,
auvnele at auvc7.tamu.edu (Eric L. Nelson) writes:
> From: auvnele at auvc7.tamu.edu (Eric L. Nelson)
> Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix
> Subject: cc -o -c
> Date: 30 May 91 22:15:00 GMT
> Sender: usenet at helios.TAMU.EDU
>
> I'm working on a large software program where sources are in one
> directory and objects go into another. I cannot get:
>
>  cc -c -o../dir/foo.o foo.c
>
> to put foo.o in ../dir. It insists on putting it in the same dir as
> foo.c.

Sorry.  Won't do it.  The -o flag is passed to the linker to rename the
final linked object.  The output of the compiler is always <file>.o.
Because you specified the -c flag, all you get is foo.o.  Also, the
compiler places the object in the current directory.  Maybe you
need to try:   cc -c  ../dir/foo.c instead.

Jaime Vazquez			Voice:  512-838-4829 or t/l 678-4829
AIX Technical Support           Fax:    512-838-4851 or t/l 678-4851
IBM AWD-Austin/2830
6000:  jaime at excalibur.austin.ibm.com
InterNet: jaime at austin.vnet.ibm.com  or jaime%austin at vnet.ibm.com