HP-720 vs IBM-320 vs Sparc2

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine52.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 7 03:49:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun6.151807.670 at idaho.uucp> rhodesii at idaho.uucp (III) writes:

[some stuff delet, ]

>MISC Nice features:

[stuff deleted]

>    3. monitor- The refresh rate is much nicer than the IBM's
>       and easier on the eyes under fluororescent light.
>       The colors didn't seem as "saturated" as they are on our IBM.
>       The monitor doesn't have the huge "footprint" of the IBM either.

Thanks heaven!  Finally another person echoed my feeling too on the net!
LOOK! Austin guys, you have done a good job bring out a nice box, why let
marketing people forcing you go with a low refresh rate monitor?  The
current screen refresh rate is at most 60Hz. TOO LOW!  Drive it up to
at least 70Hz.  If anyone at marketing object this, I have a ready fix
for you.  Grab over this guy, put him/her in front of you BIG flickering
SONY Trinitron, open a xterm (Sorry, I rm -rf aixterm looong time ago!)
using xterm -bg whie -fg black -geometry 180x66, put this poor animal
in front of it for two hours until he/she crys.  Then you will get your
way.

On the other hand, please look at Thomas Roell's outstanding X386
refresh rate design (and the friendly tutorial that comes with it :-)

>    4. The HP's X11 graphics is fast. Noticeably faster than an IBM-320's
>       and somewhat better than a Sparc-2 and the HP X11 is release 4
>       and the MOTIF1.1 (the IBM X11 is release 3 and MOTIF1.0 and we
>       run MOTIF1.1.1 on our SUNS)

Same here.  We use Motif 1.1.1 on SUN SPARCs too.  Motif 1.1.1 is actually
lots bug fixes for Motif 1.1 and now the implication of running Motif 1.0
is VERY clear, isn't it?

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department