Talking to an RS/6000

John Burton jcburt at ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 11 23:05:46 AEST 1991

In article <11775 at ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick at acd.uucp (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>John.Burton at f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (John Burton) writes:
>>
>>I have an RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.5 and connected to the internet.
>>[...]
>>I JUST CAN'T TRANSFER FILES!!!
>>
>>Can someone suggest a way to do this on the RS/6000? Apparently I don't
>>have Kermit on the RS/6000 set up properly...can someone tell me how it
>>*should* be setup?
>>
>>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>| John Burton                                                        |
>>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>For a limited time you can anon ftp kermit from acd.ucar.edu (128.117.32.1).
>
>We have a similar setup here.  Be sure that you are logging in with
>Even Parity and 7 bits and have your terminal server set to the same (we have
>an emulex terminal server).  For protocol transfers you should use the
>bsd line discipline like this:
>
>	stty disp bsd ; KERMIT COMMANDS ; stty disp posix
>[...]
>Hope this all helps you.  Good luck.  --Tim

Thanks for all the help everyone (Rudy Chukran - I tried to reply to your
email, but my machine can't find your machine for some reason, the best it
can do is find austin.ibm.com or vnet.ibm.com - got any suggestions on
*that* problem? we have the mailer configured straight out of the box,
sendmail.cf etc are just the way IBM shipped it...)

It turns out the problem/solution is the following...

I'm using C-kermit ver 4F from byron.u.washington.edu. Compiled the
way the folks at u.washington suggest ("make aixv3") which is for
BSD compliant compilation, Kermit works fine *IF* I have "stty disp bsd"
(this was my problem all along, I do a "stty disp posix" in my .login).

Before I discovered this I redefined the aixv3 target in the makefile so
that it would do a SYSV R3 compliant compilation. The Kermit executables
created this way *also* worked fine...

so, the moral of this story is...

if kermit is compiled as SYSV R3 compliant, use "stty disp posix"
if kermit is compiled as BSD compliant, use "stty disp bsd"

whew!!! I wonder if this was my problem with xmodem???

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt at gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt at cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|