Journaled File System [was Re: AIX vs standard unix]

Daniel Packman pack at acd.uucp
Wed Jun 12 00:46:57 AEST 1991

drake at ibm.com writes:

>Well, there are tradeoffs in everything.  For many people, the idea that
>you can expand filesystems dynamically into any unused disk space on any
>drive is a Big Win...

The ability to expand into unused space is not as useful as it could be
if you cannot easily *shrink* filesystems as well.  Few of us have the
luxury of having lots of unused disk space waiting around just for the
flexability of exanding a filesystem.  I understand this ability to
shrink filesystems will be in a future AIX release.

Dan Packman     NCAR                             INTERNET: pack at ncar.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1427  P.O. Box 3000                       CSNET: pack at ncar.CSNET
                Boulder, CO  80307-3000      DECNET  SPAN: 9583::PACK