Has anyone gotten CAP 6.0 to work (AIX 3.1.5)?

Carl Lewis carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au
Thu Jun 6 09:44:57 AEST 1991

In <11687 at ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:

>There are claims in the CAP 6.0 distribution from munnari.oz.au that it
>works under AIX 3.1.5.  Yet it generates screen fulls of compile-time
>errors.  We would like to use this software to print to PostScript printers
>located on our LocalTalk networks.

I don't know what your doing wrong but we've been using CAP from 3.1.1 to
3.1.4 and I see no reason why it will stop working for 3.1.5 .  I ported
CAP originally with very few changes and the next version supported
RS6000 boxes anyway.  Sounds like your using the wrong flags to
cc or something.

>Has anyone sucessfully ported CAP 6.0 to AIX3.1.5?  If so, can you let us
>know how you did it and how you set up /etc/qconfig to make use of LocalTalk-
>connected printers?

in qconfig
----------
* Laser Writer on level 3
cs_ps:
	up = TRUE
	device = dcs_ps
dcs_ps:
	backend = /usr/local/lpd/dcsps3

dcsps3
------
#!/bin/sh
cat $* | /usr/new/cap/papif -P cslw

We also use this solution for our printers hanging off of a terminal server.
The only difference id the utility used to communicate ( aprint instead of
papif , aprint is supplied with Annex TS)

>Are there any other solutions besides CAP 6.0?  (Cayman's GatorPrint crashes
>the entire GatorBox when it receives printer packets from a Risc-System 6000).

>Thanks.

>--Tim

Hope this helps somewhat , if only so that you don't condem the package
unjustly.

--
    Carl : Programmer (etc) with University of Tasmania
Internet : carl at cs.utas.edu.au || C.S.Lewis at cs.utas.edu.au
Address          || carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au