Aixterm -v in 3005

ELDER J David elder at bullet.ecf
Sat Jun 15 05:32:16 AEST 1991

Hi there! I have an RS6000 mod 320, 32 Meg memory, running level
3.1.5 of AIX.

The problem I am having is with the command:

aixterm -v

This should invoke a terminal emulation window under X with
a VT100 key code mapping. Under 3003, I could use kermit within
a window of this type and get VT100 codes reaching the computer
at the other end. (The numeric keypad was mapped to the VT100
function and PF keys.) Under 3005, the keypad produces the same
characters in both aixterm and aixterm -v. (These are NOT VT100 codes, with
the exception of the NUM LOCK key.) The documentation
vaguely mentions that " Note:  Keyboard map is needed for this mode".
It does not say where to find such a map. (There are language specific
keyboard maps in /usr/lpp/X11/defaults/xmodmap, however there is
nothing for a VT100 keyboard.) Furthermore, it does not describe
how to write such a map for the VT100 keyboard layout and finally
such action should not be necessary for a command which claims to
invoke VT emulation. I have contacted IBM software support with the
usual time lag. I was wondering if anyone had encountered any
difficulties with this and had a solution.

Thanks in advance.

David
--
David Elder                                University of Toronto
pelder at pluto.clsc.utoronto.ca              Institute for Aerospace Studies
stange at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca