Postscript preview on RS/6000

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 28 11:14:10 AEST 1991

In article <3219 at lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU>, hdai at edison.seas.ucla.edu (HongXing Dai) writes:
|> Is there a Postscript preview in RS/6000?  I checked the info comes with
|> system, asked the IBM engineer but could not get any answer.  Ultrix
|> and Sun both come with Postscript preview....

Yes, other than DPS which I haven't had time to figure out how to use, you can
port ghostscript v2.21, annon ftpable from export.lcs.mit.edu, cd contrib, bin,
then get.  I was going to generate a set of patch for Peter Deutsch.  But I
accidentally issued an rm -rf right after I did the installation :-(...

Anyway, it's not too difficult to port.  Most of my time was spent on getting
headers straight.  And I linked it with IBM supplied R3 libs.  I tried R4 libs
but it didn't pass some tests.  Ghostscript may be somewhat slow, but definitely
it gets the job done, sometimes quite well.  You may occationally unable to use
gs to preview some really complex pictures, due to a bug in IBM X server. (I am
still using 3.003 :-(

I wish I had more info about Display PostScript :-(

Sincerely,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University