4019 Printer to print ascii files in text mode

Murat Berk berk at blenda.rice.edu
Fri Mar 1 08:02:46 AEST 1991

I get 3-4 different suggestions and tryed them All of them are working well
The easiest way is to fix this is as Mark Gallion suggested
>define a print queue that has enscript as it's backend. This can be done
in seconds but not flexible for other type of filtering needs.
A more elagant way ( suggested by Dave Kinchlea ) is to define a filter like
pr filter in ascci mode.
To do this you are going to use chvirprt. If you run lsvirprt you see all
the obtions of your printer. In my default listing filter options are
missing and when I run chvirprt it say cannot find option ?? . So I edit
the /usr/lpd/pio/custom/psqueue:printer file and add this lines after
:055:__FIL:: line.
Added-----
:264:fc::
:265:fd::
:266:ff::
:267:fg::
:268:fl::
:269:fn::
:270:fp::
:271:ft::
:272:fv::
-----------
Then you can run chvirprt and assign your filter to one of the
above filters.
in my case i write "fn=/usr/local/bin/filter %I at 1" in chvirprt prompt
%I at 1 stands for full path name of file.(your filter should get the name of
 of the file from command line and write the output to stdout.)
Only thing you have to do is add -f ? (?=one of c d f .. v) to the
backend program definition in qconfig.
It works and at least this way you can define any kind of filter like
text formatting the same way. But I dont know how the order is choosen
Anyway it is not diffucult to find.

Murat Berk
Physics Dept
Rice University