cannot use ksh

john at johnmad.austin.ibm.com john at johnmad.austin.ibm.com
Fri Mar 15 06:58:27 AEST 1991

>If the user home directory is on an NFS filesystem (mounted from a SUN)
> - it hangs the console when the user logs in
> - it cannot be killed from another terminal
> - you have to hit the yellow button

This is, unfortunatly a common problem. Probably you are not running
statd and lockd on the SUN, or there is some config problem that is
keeping network locks from working between them. The ksh attempts a
lock on the history file, and since most users keep the hist file in
/u somewhere, that is an over the wire lock request. If it cannot
complete the request, then you get the hang.

>Is there a workaround?

Yep, IMHO the best one is to keep your history files local on the machine
you are logging into. This not only avoids locking problems, but is a
great performance enhancement.  You not only avoid the network locking,
but are not continually reading and writing the darn hist file over the
network all day. Another fix is forthcoming from IBM, by turning off
the hist file locking. The fix is in 3003 or there abouts.

Statements made here are my personal views and do not reflect
policy or commitments of IBM Corporation.

John Maddalozzo
IBM Advanced Workstation Division  internet:	john at wizards.austin.ibm.com
IBM Advanced Workstation Division  aesnet:	john at johnmad.austin.ibm.com
11400 Burnet Road, 994/3401	   vnet:	JOHNMAD at AUSVMQ
Austin, TX, 78758-3493
		uucp:	cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!johnmad.austin.ibm.com!john