Multiple boot disks in AIX 3.1?

Wendy Ross wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
Wed Mar 20 12:23:01 AEST 1991

In article <YbtcaBX0BwwKIaR0Vp at transarc.com> Steve_Lammert at TRANSARC.COM writes:
>We would like to keep multiple variant versions of AIX 3.1 around,
>and be able to boot these variant versions on demand.  For instance, we'd
>like to have one disk with 3002, one disk with 3003, etc. so that we can
>run various programs under several different releases.

    < bunch of possible solutions deleted >

>Thanks!

>  Steve Lammert          | Gulf Tower           | Internet: shl at transarc.com
>  Facilities Coordinator | 707 Grant Street     | Voice:     +1 412 338-4443
>  Transarc Corporation   | Pittsburgh PA  15219 | FAX:       +1 412 338-4404
>         "No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

Have you looked at the bootlist command?  bootlist takes as arguments
the key position and order of boot devices.  You could reset the bootlist
for the normal key position to have different hard drives listed first.

I have not actually tried this for changing hard drives, but instead
used this when I go to boot a machine off floppies and realize once
I'm halfway across campus I forgot the *l!*%()& key again. (Not that I
have anything against sorting through the 35 odd sets of keys I have accrued
you understand!)

It is documented well in info, so I would recommend looking at the
various options there.

P.S.  So does AFS really run that differently under different releases???
Yikes - is there anything you want to tell me about?

Good luck.

Wendy Ross
Computer Aided Engineering Network
College of Engineering