vn_ routines

Ruth Milner rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Mar 14 11:37:05 AEST 1991

In article <5849 at awdprime.UUCP> rudy at chukran.austin.ibm.com () writes:
>In article <1991Mar8.002636.4940 at nmt.edu>, rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
>(Ruth Milner) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know where all the vn_ routines are kept? Only two of them are
>> described as "kernel services", the rest are all "subroutines". But ld can't
>> find them in the standard libraries, and despite doing "ar t" on all the .a
>> files in /lib and /usr/lib, none of them show up anywhere.
>These routines are in the kernel.  To resolve them at link time, you need to
>add the following option to your link command.
>
>-bI:/lib/kernex.exp

Uh, no, not quite. We already found that file, and only the two which are
described as "kernel services" in the documentation (vn_get and vn_free)
are in /lib/kernex.exp. Even when that kernel services file is imported into
ld, numerous symbols remain undefined, e.g. vn_create, vn_open, vn_close,
etc. etc. There's about a dozen or so of them described in the man pages
which are completely unknown. These are the ones listed as "subroutines".

In addition, if you read the documentation (even hardcopy stuff on writing
kernel code), it specifically says "the six kernel services" related to
virtual filesystem handling - and then proceeds to list the six of which,
again, only two are vn_ routines, the same two. None of the rest are included
in any other list of kernel services, even the purely alphabetical one.

So there is either considerable misinformation, or considerable missing
information.

Maybe they are kernel services after all, but if so, nothing in either the
system or the documentation knows that. In which case, how do we get hold
of them? And why are they specifically called "subroutines" as distinct from
"kernel services"?

I did get a note via my local IBM software expert to the effect that there is
a missing include file, /usr/include/sys/vnops.h . Is it possible that the
above routines are actually macros which would be defined in there?

Thanks again.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM
                            rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu