Box attributes in terminfo

Vic Abell abe at mace.cc.purdue.edu
Fri Mar 8 23:57:47 AEST 1991

In article <23850 at hydra.gatech.EDU> scott at prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:

>Under AIX 3.1, IBM has extened curses and, in addition, added a few
>fields not normally found in terminfo on other system. Among the fields
>added are box1, box2, batt1 and batt2 - they have, however, neglected
>to document these fields in any significant manner. They do get
>mentioned, very briefly, in the info entry for the terminfo file.
>
>Apparently, however, these are used - in particular, by info. Without
>the box attributes in a terminfo entry, info draws garbage on the screen
>when trying to drawy boxes. In addition, despite other attributes which
>one would think define the graphics character set, stuff like smit
>still simulates boxes using characters...
>
>any clues - or is viewing info on any thing other than a "supported"
>terminal a lost cause?
>
>- Scott

The IBM document

	Item 9VRCJ	Document ID Q519417
	Title: 901217 HOWTO AIX: MODIFYING TERMINFO DESCRIPTIONS FOR
		      OEM TERMINALS FOR USE WITH INFOEXPLORER

gives a little information on the box1 terminfo field.  It says:

	box1=LhRvrl

where:	L = character user to draw upper left corner
	h = character used to draw horizontal lines
	R = character used to draw upper right corner
	v = character used to draw vertical lines
	r = character used to draw lower right corner
	l = character used to draw lower left corner

As an example,

	box1+-+|++

draws boxes with `+' at the corners, `-' in horizontal lines and `|' in
vertical lines.

Box1 is the only terminfo field this document describes.  It refers the
reader to "the TERMINFO documentation in the Files Reference Manual,"
but I think that's what infoexplorer finds when you do a search on "box1".

Vic Abell, <abe at mace.cc.purdue.edu>