"Exit" from mwm

John Burton jcburt at ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 27 23:55:18 AEST 1991

In article <10776 at ncar.ucar.edu> boote at bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Jeff W. Boote) writes:
>> So, does anyone know of a way to get out of X-windows *without* using
>> CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE ? (i.e. a way that can be setup as a menu item...
>> I KNOW you can do it with OTHER window managers (TWM)...
>
>This has nothing to do with the window manager!  The window manager is
>just an X-client like any other with a few extra permissions.  The answer
>to the original poster is two-fold.  First, you must disable the ability
>to kill X using CTRL-ALT-BS.  This is done using the -T option to xinit
>when you start up X.
>ie. /usr/bin/X11/xinit -T
>
> [much info on mwm and .xinitrc deleted]
>
>Hope this helps,
>jeff
>--
>Jeff W. Boote  <boote at ncar.ucar.edu>      *********************************
>Scientific Computing Division             * There is nothing good or bad  *
>National Center for Atmospheric Reasearch * but thinking makes it so.     *
>Boulder                                   *                   Hamlet      *
>                                          *********************************

Thanks so much for the info...I got several replies saying about the same thing...
1) Start xinit using open
2) Remove the "exec" from the "exec mwm" in my .xinitrc

This works fine, (I did *not* have to disable the CTRL-ALT-BS to get it to
work) basically I'm using an menu option to quit mwm and that takes me out
of X-windows (I'm *still* learning to deal with X-windows, just started using
it a couple of months ago). You discussion reminded me of another question/problem
I have...Currently, with my setup (a couple of aixterms open, mwm is the last
line in my .xinitrc file), any messages sent to the console (requests for "talk",
system errors, etc) wind up in bit heaven (who knows where it goes). What I'd like
to do is redirect these messages to a "console" window, such as Contool does on
a Sun system with X-windows. I tried compiling the comp.sources.x version of
contool, but it was unable to get the console output (I forget the actual error
message I got, but basically it implied that it couldn't obtain control of the
console output). Your disscusion mentioned placing an xterm as the last line of
my .xinitrc file, would this redirect console I/O to that xterm? Unfortunately,
I would like my cake and be able to eat it too, How would I be able to A) shutdown
MWM via a menu option (mwm as last line in .xinitrc) and B) capture the console
I/O (xterm as last line in .xinitrc ?) ? suggestions?

Thanks for the time (and bandwidth)

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt at gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt at cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|