Why don't processes kill when disconnected (AIX3.1.3003)?

Charlie McGuire mcguire at math.uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 14 01:50:47 AEST 1991

In article <10571 at ncar.ucar.edu>, fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim
Fredrick) writes:

|> I hope this is something simple.  But when a terminal sessions is terminated
|> abnormally (power down, telnet disconnect, etc.) many processes stay in
|> the process tables.  This is also true when you press CTRL-SHIFT-BACKSPACE
|> in AIXWindows -- some X processes will stay in the process table as seen
|> by "ps -efgau .....

Dealing with killing these things is a daily effort for me, and a real pain
in the neck. I have no idea why it behaves this way. At the moment I have
enough to do without IBM putting it on my back to demonstrate how to reproduce
it. (Which is why I haven't called it in.) As often as it happens here, I find
it hard to believe someone at IBM hasn't noticed it.

* Charlie McGuire                    | INTERNET: mcguire at math.uiowa.edu   *
* Systems Programmer                 |           mcguire at cs.uiowa.edu     *
* Computer Science Dept.             |                                    *
* The University of Iowa             |    PHONE: (319) 335-2730           *