BASH and GCC

John Warburton john at chook.ua.oz
Tue Mar 5 16:11:34 AEST 1991

>From article <1274 at dkunix9.dk.oracle.com>, by bengsig at dk.oracle.com (Bjorn Engsig):
> Article <BENEDICT.91Feb28161639 at chaos.utexas.edu> by benedict at chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Benedict) says:
> |Has anyone gotten BASH or GCC to compile on an RS6000 running AIX?
> |I'm compiling software for a new machine, and have never used an
> |RS6000, so I don't know what kind of tweaking it needs.
> Did you consicer using Korn Shell (ksh) and its own C compiler xlc?  Ksh has
> the same history mechanism bash has, and xlc is a pretty good ANSI C compiler.

I would think that if people wanted a good shell across a number of different
environments, then BASH would be the answer. Also there are a few more options
to BASH than ksh can poke a stick at!

> If anybody has gcc running, does it produce better code (in any way) than
> xlc -O?

Well that is rather amusing in its own right. We have been told (in Australia)
that the optimiser for the compiler does not work (hence the OS is not optimised
code), so the beauty of gcc is made even better as it would most probably
be the only optimising compiler for the RS6000.

> --
> Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Corporation, E-mail: bengsig at oracle.com, bengsig at oracle.nl
John Warburton
[these opinions are my own and are in no way connected with the Dept of
computer science, Adelaide Uni.]

John Warburton                          Phone   : +61 8 228 5583
Department of Computer Science          Telex   : UNIVAD AA89141
University of Adelaide                  Fax     : +61 8 223 1206
GPO Box 498 Adelaide SA 5001            ACSnet  : john at cs.ua.oz