AIX Group ID's query

Stephen E. Bacher seb1525 at mvs.draper.com
Thu Mar 14 07:12:00 AEST 1991

We are trying to implement a networkwide standard for Un*x UID and GID
numbers (mainly for NFS).  Since most users added on Suns (the bulk of
our workstation population) have a group ID of 10 (staff), we think it
would be reasonable to give our AIX users the same one.  Unfortunately
the makers of AIX think that group 10 should be "audit".  My question:
Just what effects exactly does the group classification have?  Who, if
anyone, cares about what the groups "mean" on AIX?  Is it best to edit
/etc/group to change the designations?  What, if anything, will break?