DELETE/BACKSPACE key paradox on RS/6000

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Sat Mar 9 13:58:43 AEST 1991

craig at bacchus.esa.oz.au (Craig Macbride) writes:
> The real problem is that your vt100 has a "delete" key which sends "del", and
> no proper "backspace" key to send "bs"...

This is not in the least true, probably explained by the later statement:
>...I've
> never seen a real vt100,...

...which makes me wonder why you posted.

The VT100 has both backspace and delete; it's just that the delete is at
the end of a row while the backspace has the break key to its right.  Thus
delete is slightly more convenient.  This is also true of relatively faith-
ful VT100 clones.

> ...Change the vt100 to act like a normal terminal (having a
> convenient backspace!) is the easiest solution.

Well, the VT100 is not programmable to alter the codes generated by the
keys, so that's not an answer.  But really, is the software problem of
setting the erase character so difficult that "change the hardware" is
an easier answer?!?  I hope not!
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...But is it art?