xlf Parameter statements

David Aston DYAEB at SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Mon Mar 11 12:37:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar7.210849.39890 at eagle.wesleyan.edu>,
gravishanker at eagle.wesleyan.edu says:

>  [stuff deleted]
>    The expected syntax is,
>
>        Parameter (a=10.)

 This is the correct ANSI FORTRAN77 form of the parameter statement.

>On the other hand, xlf complains for
>
>        Parameter a=10.,b=-9.
>
>and enclosing the assignments in parantheses solves the compiler error. Of
>course, the Iris and Vax are perfectly happy with this type of statement.

 This behaviour is strictly correct. Iris, Vax (and I'm sure other)
 compilers only accept it as an extension. When only one parameter is
 given the syntax is ambiguous, since blanks are not significant in Fortran,
 and the variable Parametera gets correctly set to 10.
 As someone once said (I forget who), "the nice thing about standards is
 that there are so many of them to choose from".  ;-)