file fragmentation

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Thu Mar 7 23:20:06 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar6.211120.25337 at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com (Jim Salter) writes:
>>Good luck
>>in finding utilities that will spit out statistics about (RISC) AIX
>>filesystems; you'll need it....
>
>lsvg - list volume groups and statistics
>lspv - list physical volumes and statistics
>lslv - list logical volumes and statistics (this is what you probably want)
>df   - lists disk and filesystem information
>
>All shipped with the system; what's so tough about this?

The kinds of utilities which are being referred to are far more useful
than than the 4 you list above.  The amount of knowlege and experience
in doping around with the USG and BSD filesystems is quite a bit more
widespread than the amount of experience doping around the JFS.

For example, I have a utility which will tell me how fragmented the
average file is, how fragmented the entire partition is, what are the
top X fragmented files (for some value of X), the amount of head
movement for (in terms of block separation, I think) between blocks
in the files, and so on.  I also have a utility which will compress
my filesystem while it is still mounted.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.