File locations on AIX (was Re: xshofonts.c on RS/6000)

jxt at cpdws1.ctd.ornl.gov jxt at cpdws1.ctd.ornl.gov
Fri Mar 29 03:36:36 AEST 1991

Regarding my problems compiling xshowfonts.c AIX, geo at george.austin.ibm.com
(George Noren) write:

>Label.h and Viewport.h are in the directory /usr/lpp/X11/Xamples/lib/Xaw/X11.
>You need to copy these to /usr/include/X11 or include the directories (there
>are others in ...Xamples/lib that you may need also) in the compile
>environment.

Thanks, George, for the info. I will try those suggestions.

Now for the next question. Why are things like this scattered all over the
place? And, more importantly, just where are useful things like this
scattered?

Why should Lable.h, Viewport.h, libXaw.a, etc. be in /usr/lpp/X11/Xamples/lib
instead of the "normal" place like /usr/include/X11?

What is the best way to deal with these "misplaced" files? Copy them, move
them, or link them to the "normal" places? I am somewhat green at unix and
very green with X, and the reasons for the files to be in different places
escapes me. Certainly my concept of the "normal" place for those files, and
others, could well be wrong. And I am more than willing to learn where
the "normal" place should be. Any help would be appreciated.

A similar question is why are all the standard X11R3 clients in /usr/lpp/
X11/Xamples/clients instead of somewhere more normal like /usr/bin/X11 so
they will be in a "normal" path? I realize that I built them there when I
got my system, but, again, should I copy, move, or link them to /usr/bin/X11?
Or is there a better and "more normal" place to copy/move/link them to?

A more general question is "what else in the standard AIX file and directory
organization is 'different' and what should be done about it?

Many thanks,
Johnny Tolliver (jxt at ornl.gov)