Making A request to IBM (Was: Re: How does one compile to assembly?)

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.UUCP
Wed Mar 27 03:11:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar22.183550.30160 at edm.uucp> geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>In article <3299 at pensoft.UUCP> robin at pensoft.UUCP (Robin Wilson) writes:
>>Well, here is the REAL story from someone who works inside of the system.
>	Funny how the real story from the inside is not the real story
>from the outside. My normal sequence is phone IBM software (please note
>this is Canada so your mileage may vary :-) ) support hotline. I'm then

Sorry, I guess I should have limited distribution.  The previously described
support structure is only good for the USA.  (I often forget that USENET is
read around the world.  Sorry.)

Each country, (or in Europe - Economic Community) has its own level 2 support.
Part of this is physical.. ie. they are located far away.  And part of it is
political.  Due to export restrictions, IBM employees are not allowed to
transmit certain technical information to "non-IBM" employees across
national boundaries.  This means that I cannot get on the phone in Austin
and provide technical assistance to someone in Canada who doesn't work for
IBM.  I cannot send an update to another country, and I cannot send or
suggest any code fix over the phone lines.

Since each country has its own (read different) restrictions on how to
perform support, each country has its own support structure.  All problems
(that turn out to be defects) are still resolved in Austin, and all code
changes are done through the existing level 3; but all contacts are made
electronically from IBMer to IBMer.  This is not IBMs idea... It is the
LAW.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |