REMOTEHOST

Kai Ng ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca
Fri Mar 22 00:02:13 AEST 1991

In article <6034 at awdprime.UUCP>, jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com (John F Haugh II) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar20.185405.5746 at nrcnet0.nrc.ca> ng at cfd.di.nrc.ca writes:
|> >In AIX/RS6000, is there a way to find out from where you are actually
|> >login'ed ?
|>
|> You can get this information either from /etc/utmp

   or

|> % who | grep jfh
|> jfh         pts/9       Mar 20 16:01          (snowball.austin.)
|>
|> Regrettably you don't get all of it because the u_host field is only
|> 16 characters long.
|> --
|> John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340

The who command would work only in a few cases. It fails if you have login'ed
more than once from more than 1 place; or as you suggested the remote host
name is long. On top of that 'who' has a bug, which I hope it is fixed in 3003, that it still lists, quite often, users who have logoff'ed.

Somewhere in the system must this information be stored. However I do prefer
to have a shell solution. Thank you.