xman on AIX

david at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com david at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Fri Mar 1 05:56:37 AEST 1991

In article <AGW.91Feb28095126 at cs.cs.columbia.edu> agw at cs.columbia.edu writes:
>Having setenv MANPATH to be /usr/local/man:/usr/man, I have found that
>xman can only find the local stuff.  This is because the man pages for
>AIX on a RISC600 are on a CD.  (The usual man directories /usr/man are
>provided, but are empty.)

There are no ACTUAL man pages on the system. The man command has
been changed so that it will extract data from the hypertext
information library and do its best to present the information
in a man-like format.

man will also scan for actual man pages in the usual places if
it does not find any information in the hypertext library.

So I suppose xman would ONLY find stuff in MANPATH.

David Berkowitz  uunet!ibmsupt!david  (415) 855-4485 |
                                                     | Take off your shoes.
IBM Personal Systems Programming, Palo Alto          | for industry!
This does not represent an official IBM position.    |