Unable to start X Server - unless root user

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.UUCP
Wed Mar 27 03:51:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar22.131041.10327 at hollie.rdg.dec.com> attwool at exocet.enet.dec.com () writes:
> Is it normal for ONLY the root user to be able to start up 'xinit' ?, I
>hope its not,
> I've added users and choosen their startup environment using SMIT, but
>if i login to
> the newly created account I get an error message which reads...
>  'Unable to start X server'

Uh... did you by chance install over the network, or do an update over the
network?  This is the problem:

	the device "/dev/tty" has the wrong permissions.  To correct the problem:

	chmod 666 /dev/tty

There was a problem with one of the old updates that caused the "/dev/tty"
device to get the wrong permissions set, and install over the network used
to cause the same thing, but resetting the permissions clears it right up.

> InfoManager core dumping/hanging, with memory allocation failures
> infoManager pages containing binary characters..
> man ls  - this command coredumps...

What is your "LANG" set to.  Try the following command: echo $LANG.

It should be either "En_US" or "C".  Next check the "/usr/lpp/info/data"
directory.  The "ispaths" and "ispaths.full" files should be the same
size (if your using the cdrom, or if info is fully installed on your
disk).

(BTW, I am assuming that you mean "InfoExplorer" and not "InfoManager".  If
you really mean "InfoManager" I've never heard of it, so none of the above
applies.)

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |