Elm on AIX PS/2

Alan Ballard ballard at cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 12 05:56:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar10.220400.24300 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lance at lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) writes:

>Below is what happens when leavembox.c tries to compile. I've had
>a few responses, but so far nothing has worked.

Ah, that reminds me of the problems I had building elm for aix ps/2.  The
configure script tries to figure out whether to include <time.h> or
<sys/time.h> or both, but it gets it wrong for aix.

I've forgotten which way around it was, but if you look in config.h you should
find either #define or #undef for I_TIME and I_SYSTIME.  Make them
both be #define and it should compile OK.

>What is the proper
>way to handle the $HOME/.newmail problem?

I didn't do anything about it, since Elm does look for a MAIL environment
variable first, and this is set to the $HOME/.newmail by default.
But it would be better to have it know about where the default mail boxes
are without depending on this.  Probably not a difficult fix.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard at ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1 at UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116