UUCP using V.32 or HST modem connections

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
Sat Mar 30 13:28:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar28.110956.10576 at unislc.uucp> sun!jkimble at unislc (Jim Kimble) writes:
>I'm the dork who did the port of BNU UUCP to the RS/6000 while contracting
>at IBM Austin.  For grins and giggles, I connected a couple TrailBlazers
>(T1500s, I believe) and did some throughput measurements.  My figures
>between two RS/6000's were a *lot* better than 1500bps but didn't compare
>to the figures my friends/neighbors were seeing between NCR Towers, DELL
>boxes, and TI BS1500s.

The most we've been able to get using either 'blazers or HST's is around
4800 baud effective throughput, which is pretty pittiful.  This was
between two 6000's at level 3003.

>The real killer is connecting to an IBM RT because VRM had a nasty problem
>with high-speed UUCP connections overflowing the i/o buffers -- consequently
>VRM handled the overflow by sending either a SIGHUP or SIGINT to uucico
>which caused the connection to die for mysterious reasons...  The "fix" for
>that APAR was to slow down uucico rather than speed up VRM.  No shit.

So why in the world would you leave a nap() call between each packet when you
ported uucico to the 6000!  This effectively kills any chance of doing high
speed communication with uucp.  We've got an apar open on this so hopefully
it'll get fixed soon.  Sheesh, any you even knew about it.

Mark Dapoz	home: mdapoz%hybrid at cs.toronto.edu
		work: md at toronto.ibm.com   or  mdapoz at torvm3.vnet.ibm.com
Finger and toes, finger and toes, forty things we share, forty one if you
include the fact that we don't care.  - The Tragically Hip