talk

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Fri Mar 8 12:42:31 AEST 1991

In article <ICI.91Mar6164614 at loame03.crl.melco.co.jp> ici at adm.crl.melco.co.jp writes:

>If someone else tries to 'talk' to me working on AIX Window,
>there is no way to know I am 'talk'ed to. Because the information
>appears on /dev/hft. Using of 'swcons' doesn't help. IBM Japan
>said this is not bug.

Well, it may not be a bug - at least in talk. When you try to
talk to someone who is logged in mulitple times, the talk
daemon selects ONE of their sessions to broadcast the invitation
to. The same is true when working in a multi-window environment.

I have not seen any documentation that says which "terminal" is
selected to recieve the invitation, but I bet its determined by
a simple linear search through utmp - which would yield /dev/hft.
This is the normal behaviour of talk on just about every system -
I don't think IBM's implementation is broke. In actuality, its
up to YOU to determine which terminal to send the invitation to -
at least accoring to the man pages for vanilla 4.2 and 4.3 BSD
talk.

What is broke is the fact that you can't get output which is
sent to /dev/hft - not just talk invitations.

-Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech 				UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services