Tracing an SDLC line on the /6000

Christian Motz cmo at softpro.stgt.sub.org
Mon Mar 11 04:03:38 AEST 1991

Is it possible to trace an SDLC line attached to the 4-Port
Multiprotocol-Adapter even if SNA Services is unable to establish
a link on that line? Tracing the attachment didn't get me the
desired result (i.e. the trace file was empty), and I was unable
to achieve anything by trying to trace the MPQDD. Am I overlooking
something obvious here? If so, or if I missed anything in the
documentation, feel free to flame me. If not, maybe some kind
soul in Austin could point out a way for doing this.

My current problem is to get my Model 530 to talk to our /370
system to which it is hooked up via an 3725 and an SDLC line.
Used to work fine in the past whe I used a dialup line, but now
that we have a connection using two inhouse-modems, nothing works.
Definitions on the VTAM side look fine, as do the definitions
in SNA Services on the /6000. I would like to make absolutely
sure that we did everything right before we start bothering the
guys at defect support -- hence the need for a trace on the AIX
side, as low-level as possible, since (as mentioned earlier) an
Attachment Trace produces absolutely no data. (Yes, the cables
are ok, the poll from the 3725 can be traced to the /6000
connector and so forth.

On a side note: Is it a known problem with 3002 that the use of
pagespace is creeping upward over time? Our 530 usually uses
about 30% of pagespace upon system boot (with no load, that is),
and it went up to about 45% 10 days later (again with no real
system load). At least that's what lsps tells me -- maybe it is
pulling my leg. Oh well.

I would appreciate any comments on the above problem(s). Thanks
in advance,

							Chris.

--
SOFTPRO doesn't speak for me, and I do not speak for SOFTPRO. So what?

                              Christian Motz, cmo at softpro.stgt.sub.org