Error messages

Graeme Moffat graeme at ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
Mon Mar 11 18:54:14 AEST 1991

The rs6000 error messages are preceded by fancy looking 7 digit numbers, but
when these are looked up in Info, I am invariably dumped into the man pages
for the command which produced the error, which is not much help in
determining the cause of it. Also several are not listed at all. The text of
many of the messages is no help, either. My favourite is: umount: a device
is already mounted (I know, else I wouldn't be trying to unmount it) or
cannot be unmounted (which is what it is really trying to say).  Are there
better error explanations anywhere, or does IBM intend to improve this in
the future? (I am used to getting verbose explanations from VM/SP manuals)
I am aware that helpful error messages in Unix are considered bad form *B^)
PS. In the umount error above, just how do I determine who or what has open
files or current directories in the affected filesystem?
Thanks
--
Graeme Moffat                g.moffat at aukuni.ac.nz \ Time wastes us all,
Computer Aided Design Centre,  Fax: +64-9-366-0702 /  our bodies & our wits