How does one compile to assembly?

keller at terra.ucsc.edu keller at terra.ucsc.edu
Wed Mar 6 18:31:31 AEST 1991

How does one get the effect of BSD's 'cc -S' on the RS/6000?

I wish to get assembly language output from the C compiler so that I can
run it through a filter which inserts various instructions before the
object code is generated.  (The goal is to collect run-time instruction-mix
and trace information.)

After noting that unsupport of -S and swimming through various documents,
I concluded that -qlist (which outputs all sorts of information to *.lst)
was the closest analog available.  I think that, in time, I might succeed
in (re)constructing *.s from *.lst, but the task looks perverse.  Surely
there is a better way?

--
Jeff Keller              keller at terra.ucsc.edu             (408)427-3602